Summer School - Mixed Methods Research

Here we are at the University of Oslo Summer School.
With the feeling that my research design and actually the object of research changed a lot in the last weeks I am taking a course in Mixed Methods Research to get another view on research methods, a more critical view towards doing research and find some answers to epistemological questions and grounding of my research.


I do ask myself...
Do we really need to classify ourselves as a qualitative or quantitative researcher?

I am classifying myself in such a way when someone asks me and yes it is what I worked with before. But what is actually qualitative research? What does the classification "qualitative" contain? Would it not be better to define the way of thinking and then take this to the method? As Grix wrote, “It is not the method that approaches scholarships with pre-existing baggage, but rather the researcher” (Grix, 2002). 

Let's see if I can answer some of these questions at the end of the week. 



Comments